Adventures in Guinea as a Peace Corps Volunteer

Monday, September 25, 2006

Of Mice and Women

After settling in on a cool Fouta night, within hours I was rudely awaken by a sharp pain that commenced at the big right toe and radiated the lenght of the foot. I sprang from my bed, detangling myself from the mosquito netm to see what was the matter. Only to color my cement floor blood red as I searched in vain for a flashlight. Before the light radiated off my tye dye sheets, I discovered a small animal psychotically running the length of my bed.

In my best Nancy Drew saunter, I approaced the bed but the animal seemed to notice and was approching me quickly. Would it like to sample another body part? I lost my confidence (that nevered happened to Nancy in the novels) and retreated to the living room to spend the rest of the night on the other side of 2 closed doors.

After many sleepless hours, a glimpse of morning light and the need to use the bathroom brought new confidence to re-enter and re-claim my space. Slowly, I entered the 1st door and closed it behind me with a small squeek, then the 2nd door only to sight a huge rodent like creature with a long tail training for the 100 meter dash along the backboard of my bed. When it heard and saw me, it looked straight at me and in decoded rodent language it dared me to chase it as it disappeared under my bed. When he chose this location I knew he had won the battle BUT I would win the war. Honestly, where do you hide all your excess items in a quick attempt to clean up your room? He had been studying the ways of the human.

Again, I retreated back to the living room to eat breakfast and nourish my body for the long chase that would follow. Full of oatmeal and confidence, but not too full as to loose my quick step, I began to tear through my house in search the guest that just was not happy with food scraps and prefers body parts. After 30 minutes of destruction my rooom looked as though a hurricane had hit and yet no rodent siting yet. I refoucused my efforts fro the hallway/storage room connecting my living room to my bedroom. I carefully picked up an empty bakpack and something lounged towards me. Reluctantly, I admit that I scread like a 7 year-old child who has just experienced her 1st haunted house and ran for the door. Well, the rodent is on my heels or perhaps the other way around. He takes refuge inside my small portable stove. I grab a stanick from the year to protect me and contine the scavenger hunt. After much coxing, this animal in a hopping/running combo exists my main door. Running after it, I watch as it climbs into the side of the roof of my house seeking shelter from the crazy lady with the stick. As I breathe a sigh of relief I think to myself, does it have an undiscovered entrance?

Some say lightening does not strike the same place twice. Technically, I would agree. The last time I was bit by a rodent it was on the second finger of the right hand in Virginia while hiking the Appalachian Trail. I guess some people have all the luck!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!!!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER AM I GOING TO GUINEA!

MOMMA MARY

7:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home