Adventures in Guinea as a Peace Corps Volunteer

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Chapter Complete/Hold the Packages

It is with both sadness and joy that I write this blog. I guess you could say that I saw it coming but it does not make it any easier. After 27 days of homelessness and idle wandering it was determined that the best course of action was to complete my service early. The country director, my program director and I have considered and/or tried EVERYTHING to make it work but unfortunately, it as not meant to be.

When I came to Peace Corps in January 2006, I thought this experience would allow me to define what I wanted to do with my life. When I got evacuated in February 2007, I knew my Peace Corps experience was not complete. In addition, I still had not come to my life altering realization and the defined next steps. Sadly, as I COS after 22 months of service, the answer is that I still don’t know what is next.

What I do know, is that I will be traveling around Africa until I no longer find it enjoyable. My current plan is to leave Madagascar on Wednesday, October 3rd for Kenya. If the rainy season is not too unkind to me, I will be working my way down to my friends in Zambia through Uganda and Tanzania. Then if energy, enthusiasm and money are still part of my repertoire, I will continue up to West Africa to visit many of my fellow Guinea evacuees and possibly Guinea itself. If you have any contacts in any of these areas that might be willing to chat and give a bit of advice to a lone traveler, I would greatly accept their contact information. Also, please continue to check my blog as I will now be writing about the adventures post US government employment.